8a. The old gymnasium

St Mary's Hall School was built in 1836 on land donated by the 1st Marquess of Bristol. To the north of the school, there used to be a Gymnasium with the Art Studio between it and the original school building. The exterior of both these buildings was photographed prior to demolition and, fortunately, the interior of the old gymnasium itself, showing the elegant fireplace and the painting of the Rev Henry Venn Elliott, founder of St Mary's Hall.